A building permit or development permit is required throughout the Province for the construction of new buildings, structures or major excavation as well as the demolition, relocation, alteration or replacement of an existing building or structure.
Property owners are responsible for obtaining the necessary permit(s). If you choose to have your contractor take out the permit on your behalf, make sure that it’s done before the project gets started.
The primary role of the Development Permit / Building Permit is to protect the property owner and the community by assuring that the proposed development is in conformity with the objectives set the Rural Plan and 2015 National Building Code of Canada
Submitting an Application for a Building / Development Permit
All applications must include the following:
- A set-back/access certificate from the Department of Transportation & Infrastructure (email email@example.com or call 506-643-7463).
- An approval to install an on-site septic system (contact a licensed installer).
- A civic number or confirmation of application for a civic number from New Brunswick 911 Bureau.
- A site plan showing lot dimensions, the proposed construction, distances from property lines, distances from nearby wetlands/watercourse, existing structures, existing or proposed driveway, and abutting roads (sample)
- Building plans.
- Approvals from other government agencies, if required (e.g. Watercourse or Wetland Alterations Permit)
- Completed building permit application form (PDF)
- Applicable fees.
Email completed form and documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions or to pay fees, call 506-738-8494.
NOTE: As of January 1st, 2023, Musquash is serviced by the Southwest New Brunswick Service Commission